Sports Premium Statement
At Queen Victoria, we recognise the contribution of PE to the health and well-being of the children. We believe that an innovative, varied PE curriculum and extracurricular opportunities have a positive influence on the concentration, attitude and academic achievement of all of our children.
Sport is an excellent role model for learning and behaviour. Athletes all have goals broken down into achievable steps, they know these can be achieved combining the right mental attitude, fitness, diet and physical skills, they can all visualise their goal, they all have passion, they use their coach/mentor well, they all have a fantastically positive attitude towards mistakes – they call them “practice!” and they all achieve by doing.
Sport increases self esteem and motivation. It contributes to the pupils’ spiritual, moral, social and cultural development. It develops teamwork, resilience, problem solving, making connections, forward thinking, risk taking, reflection, evaluation – in fact all of the characteristics of our creative curriculum! Combine these and it is a recipe for success!
PE and Sport Premium
All pupils leaving primary school physically literate and with the knowledge , skills and motivation necessary to equip them for a healthy lifestyle and lifelong participation in physical activity and sport.
- To achieve self sustaining improvement in the quality of PE and sport in primary schools
- We would expect indicators of such improvement to include:
- The engagement of all pupils in regular physical activity – kick-starting healthy active lifestyles
- The profile of PE and sport being raised across the school as a tool for whole school improvement
- Increased confidence, knowledge and skills of staff in teaching PE and sport
- Broader experience of a range of sports and activities offered to all pupils
- Increased participation in competitive sport
Updated Jan 2015 Youth Sport Trust.
What is the Sports Premium?
The government is providing funding of £150million per annum for the academic years 2103/14 and 2014/5 to provide new and substantial primary school sport funding. The funding is being jointly provided by the Department for Education, Health and Culture, Media and Sport, and has seen more money going directly to primary school headteachers to spend on improving the quality of sport and PE for all their children. David Cameron has just announced that he wants to carry this on until 2020 (if he should win the election – the other parties have agreed that the funding will stay but not how it will be distributed) Each school has received £8000 plus an extra £5 per pupil each year. The money can only be spent on sport and PE provision in schools.
Possible uses of the funding include:
- Hiring specialist PE teachers or qualified sports coaches to work alongside primary teachers
- when teaching PE
- New or additional Change4life sport clubs
- Paying for professional development opportunities in PE/Sport
- Providing cover to release primary teachers fr professional development in PE/sport
- Running sport competitions, or increasing participation in the school games
- Buying quality assured professional development modules or material for PE/Sport
- Providing places for pupils on after school sport clubs and residential visits
Sports Premium Spending 2017-2018
Our aim for the Sport premium at Queen Victoria Primary:
- To use the sport premium funding to create opportunities for pupils to participate in sports and activities, in addition to those which already exist.
- To increase the participation in inter and intra school competitions
- To increase teacher skill and delivery of curriculum P.E.
|Total amount £20,379.||(Costs are approximate)|
|Premier Sport – coaching / CPD/ school support / competitions £12,000||£12,000|
|2 Outdoor Table tennis tables £1,000||£1,000|
|Table tennis bats / balls £150||£150|
|Booster swimming sessions x 6 £300||£300|
|Cover for staff (Sports competitions) £150 per day||£900|
|Replacing sports equipment, buying new resources.||£3,200|
|Transport costs –minibus upkeep||£2,000|
|Outdoor storage for dinner play equipment||£800|